Saturday, April 26, 2008

Solo Trip

Day 1
I left Xela early on Wednesday morning via a private shuttle thru a tour agency to Coban. Instead of a minibus, we were in a Toyota 4Runner, which I later found out that we definitely needed. There were only 4 other people, a Guatemalan mom and son and a girl from Australia. The trip to Coban took 8 hours, including a swim break at a river due to a road closure. The road that was being worked on is pretty much just a narrow path of dirt and rocks that winds up the side of a mountain. We were between the mountain and a very steep drop off and to add to the fun, we had to pass construction trucks carrying loads of rocks. It was the most terrifying 15 minutes of my life - I just held on to the ¨oh shit¨ handle and kept my eyes closed. We finally made it to Coban, then immediately took a public minibus another 3 hours ot the town of Lanquin. The trip was mostly unpaved, so it was another 3 hours of bumps, dust, wind, and heat. But I made it! The hotel I wanted was full, so at 8 pm I was trecking on the only road in town with my big backpack searching for a place. Luckily the only other hostal in town had a bed. After 11 hours of bumpy roads, I was exhausted.

Day2
Thursday I took an early minibus from Lanquin to Semuc Champay, which is a remote area known for its natural swimming pools and beauty. The minibus was only 1/2 hour, but it also circled the town plaze for 1/2 hour calling for more passengers and loaded huge baskets of fruit on the top of the bus. I was the only gringo on the bus and 3 Mayan girls stared at me the entire trip. By the time I made it to Semuc, I was hot, dusty and tired of being stared at. I stayed at Las Marias, which is only a 15 min. walk from Semuc, so I spent the afternoon swimming at Semuc and hiking the grounds. Semuc Champey is part of a river, but the river flows under the earth and somehow formed a series of shallow pools that are perfect for swimming and relaxing. It is absolutely beautiful and the best way to escape the heat and humidity. After Semuc I went back to Las Marias, met some fellow backpackers and had dinner, which is served together at 7 pm. it´s a great way to chat and meet people and be insprired for more travel adventure. The electricity went out at 8:45, so it was early to bed!

Day 3
I woke early and took a cave tour with 6 other people from the hotel. We waded, climbed, and swam through the caves using only candles for light and led by a Mayan guy who looked to be about 16. It took about an hour to reach the further point, where we sat in the dark because our guide told us the bats would come if we blew out our candles. Of course no bats came and we just scared oursleves sitting in the dark. Guatemala is prone to small earthquakes ( I have felt 3 since I came) and the occasional ´ Big One´ and that is all I could think about sitting in the dark under the earth in Guatemala. We finally started back out of the cave and our candles were down to little nubs, so we were ready to get out. We ended the tour by floating down th river to the hotel. A great our for 35Q, about $4. It as a great experience and very different, but I think I am done exploring caves. I went back to Semuc in the afternoon with Courtney and Samara, two girls from the hostal, for another afternoon of swimming and escape from the hear. Dinner was another big communal affair and electricy off at 9 pm, so no late nights for us.

Day 4
6 of us from the hotel took a shuttle from Semuc Champay back to Coban. I am staying in Coban for the day/night and will catch a 5 am bus to Guatemala City tomorrow. There is not much to do in Coban, especially on a Saturday but it is good to rest and take a hot shower! Another long day of bus rides (11 hours) tomorrow, but hopefully tomorrow night will be spent in Livingston on the Carribean coast.

Pictures to come, i fogot my camera in the hotel....

No comments: