We also went to the town of Zunil to look for San Simon, an 'evil' saint of sorts who is worshiped by the Mayans. He is placed in someone's home and dressed in Western clothes, complete with cigarettes and alcohol. People bring him their worries, ask for his blessing and offer gifts of rum, money and cigarettes. It was one of the most interesting sights I have even seen - rum is even poured down his throat and the cigarette is lit!
I moved into the hostel over the weekend and am really enjoying it. There are not many other residents (about 6 on two floors), but they are longer term residents and older, so it is ideal for studying and relaxing. The best part is that I am finally able to buy fruit at the mercado since I have the means to clean it and a kitchen to use. I have been feasting on mangos and avocados since I moved in.
I attend salsa lessons on Mon. night and am pretty horrible at it. But it is great exercise and a lot of fun, so I will keep going. There are a lot of really great cafes and activities in Xela to keep busy with and forget about school for a bit. My Spanish is growing poco a poco, but the more I learn the more I realize I don't know!
No comments:
Post a Comment